Tesla Motors is an American automotive and energy storage company, owned by Elon Musk, with a total equity of 1.08 billion dollars (2015). The best-known products of the company are the luxury cars, as well as the environment-friendly electrical cars. Tesla Model S is a luxury car, being part of the Tesla lineup.
Tesla’s strategy has been to penetrate the market with an expensive, high-end product, targeting clients with a high income. However, the company is extending its strategy lines, trying to enter more competitive markets, using lower prices.
Tesla has developed a three-step strategy: the new electric technology will be paid for through sales of the former models, starting with Tesla Roadster and continuing with Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles. Model S is situated in the second step of the strategy, being positioned as medium priced and medium volume.
Model S is the company’s second vehicle, a fully electric luxury sedan. The Model S was the world’s best-selling plug-in electric car in 2015. Starting with December 2015, Tesla Model S is situated on the second place in world’s best-selling plug-in vehicles, after the Nissan Leaf. The Model S was initially named “Whitestar”.
This particular Tesla model was launched on March 26, 2009. However, its delivery began in June 2012. Global sales of Model S passed 100,000 units in 2015, three years and a half after its introduction. Model S is the top-selling car of Tesla Motors, followed by Model X.
Tesla builds its Model S in California, at the company’s assembly plant. The vehicle received a positive review on the Top Gear website.
The company website promotes the Model S, emphasizing its strong points: performance and safety. The car is able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in only 2.8 seconds. Model S has Autopilot capabilities, this way becoming safer and stress-free for the driver. It is said to be built around the driver. The Model S is one of the few cars to ever achieve 5-star safety from both Euro NCAP and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Standard Features (teslamotors.com):
- Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features
- Supercharger network
- Maps and navigation with real-time traffic information
- Center console with removable dividers
- Automatic keyless entry
- Front trunk with room for luggage
- 6 cubic feet of storage
- Side collision avoidance
- Automatic emergency braking
- Parking sensors and blind spot warning
- Full LED headlamps
- Heated side mirrors
- LATCH child seat attachments
- 8 years, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
- 4 years, 50,000 miles limited warranty
- Autopilot convenience features
- Range upgrade
- Premium upgrades package (HEPA air filtration, activated carbon air purification filters, LED lights for nighttime visibility, LED fog lights, power lift-gate, Nappa leather armrests and dashboard, lighted door handles, quick connection phone dock)
- Smart air suspension
- Subzero weather package (seat heaters, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters, washer nozzle heater)
- Ultra-high fidelity sound (XM satellite radio capability, 12 speakers)
- Rear-facing seats
- High amperage charger upgrade
The Model S base price was, at its launch, 57,400 dollars. European prices are higher, due to exchange rates, VAT, and transport cost. In most countries the base price for the 60kWh start at 72,600 euros, and 83, 150 euros for the 85 kWh battery car. Tesla Model S is a premium vehicle, with a price and size to match. According to caranddriver.com, the price range of Tesla Model S is between 71,200 dollars and 109,200 dollars.
- Spacious interior
- It gives you comfort, it is quiet, although it has big wheels, and this might give you a bumpy ride
- Impressive tablet-like display
- It is easy to drive
- It is very cheap to run, due to its fuel economy feature
- High affordability. It has a small running cost for such a big car
- Model S has scored top marks in crash tests
Online ratings vary from 8 to 9, of a total 10 points.
Tesla Model S is very fast, has a nice interior with luxury finishes, high-end technology, and offers an impressive traction system. On the other hand, the price of optional features is quite high. According to online reviews, some of the options should be included in the standard version of the car.
You can find some of the prices for optional features, below (caradvice.com):
- Ludicrous Mode – 15,000 dollars
- Red Multi-coat Paint – 2300 dollars
- Smart Air Suspension – 3800 dollars
- Subzero Weather Package – 1500 dollars
- Ultra-High Fidelity Sound – 3800 dollars
- Next Generation Leather Seats – 3800 dollars
- Premium Interior and Lighting Package – 4500 dollars
- Autopilot Convenience Features – 3800 dollars
- Carbon Fibre Spoiler – 1500 dollars
- Panoramic Glass Sunroof – 2300 dollars
- 21-inch Turbine Alloy Wheels – 6800 dollars
- Carbon Fibre Decor – 1500 dollars
Total options: 50,600 dollars.
Tesla Model S is said to be the all-electric dream car envied by many, reaching up to 294 miles of range. As you move down the lineup, lower-spec 90D, 75D, 75, 70D and 70 models offered reduced ranges and features. It can be equipped with luxury accommodations such as air filter to protect the occupants from bio-weapons and other pollutants. Features like this can make a difference for the interested buyers and can seal the deal.
Tesla has a surprise for its buyers. They will improve and upgrade the face of the Model S 2017. Even though Model S has benefited from constant software research and revisions throughout the years, its appearance has never been changed.
Improvements like a new air-filtration system and the replacement of the previous model 40-amp charger with a standard 48-amp charger will have an effect on the price as well. Pricing for the 2017 Model S is up by 1500 dollars across the range.
To sum up, Tesla Model S has pros and cons. It is fun to drive, thanks to engaging handling and responsive powertrain. However, it gets rather pricey with common equipment.
Is it worth it, you may ask? Well, if you have a budget of minimum 60,000 dollars at your disposal, then, you might take it into consideration.