If you’re pretty active in the mobile technology sector, then you’ve probably already heard of the DIRECTV app. If you’re also a huge movie and tv show fan, then you might be already really excited to get it. But before you do that, read on to find out more about what the DIRECTV app for Android actually does, how it works, and why is it something you need in your life.
What Is the DIRECTV App for Android?
The DIRECTV app is an Android (and iPhone) app provided by the American direct broadcast satellite service provider DirecTV. This app allows you to watch your favorite movies and tv shows straight from your phone or tablet, hassle free.
Imagine you’re at the airport waiting for your next flight and your favorite tv show just started. Now you don’t have to wait to see the new episode, you can just stream it straight when it airs on your phone or tablet. But if you can’t watch it in that particular moment, there is always the On Demand feature. Even more amazing, you can watch movies that you already recorded on your DVR. Now let’s see what are some of the awesome features that got the attention of the public.
DIRECTV App for Android Features
- Live TV Streaming: Stream live wherever you are. You only need a Wi-Fi connection and you’re all set.
- Tons of channels that carry a lot of diversity.
- Use your phone or tablet as a remote control and pause, rewind, or fast forward through previously recorded shows on your TV.
- The possibility to rewind and watch shows that aired in the last 72 hours.
- Start watching a movie or a tv show with the On Demand feature, then pause it on one device and continue on another. There will be a Recently Watched list on your home screen.
- Move shows from your phone or tablet to the TV in seconds with the Screen Switch feature.
- You are able to block or hide any type of adult content from your children, or even set your own rating limits for certain tv shows or movies.
- If you already left home and forgot to schedule the DVR to record your favorite show, you can do that straight from your phone or tablet with the DIRECTV app for Android. Even if the show you want to record runs overtime, you can set extra recording time so that you don’t miss out on anything.
- Voice search will help lazy people instantly find the show they want to watch. You can even ask your device to display the search on your TV.
- With the Smart Search feature you can browse through information about casts and crews and you can search by actor, director, title and so on.
- If a show you are watching has been airing for 2 minutes, then you have the ability to press the restart icon and start the show over.
- The shows go on forever – when you’ve finished one episode, the next one will begin automatically.
- Customize your app homescreen to show what you prefer to see first, such as “Popular in Your Area” or “Live TV Streaming”.
- Use the “Free” filter to check if any program you would like to watch requires you to pay extra moey.
- The DIRECTV app for Android also has some other minor apps that are related to it and that are designed to make things even easier for you. For instance, there is the DIRECTV Kids Programming app, which offers only programs for children, and which can be an incredible stress reliever for adults. The DIRECTV Sports Bar Finder app is a pretty useful tool that tells you where is the closest bar streaming the game you want to watch, as long as it has DIRECTV sports channels. Finally, the DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket app is designed to let you watch games, replays, highlights, or even stream one game on your TV and another one on your phone or tablet.
DIRECTV App for Android Requirements
Now that we’ve gotten really excited about all these cool features offered by the DIRECTV app for Android, let’s also see what are the requirements for having it:
- OS 4.2 or later on your Android phone.
- On Demand or Live TV Streaming channels require Wi-Fi or a 3G/4G Internet connection when you are not at home.
- What you are able to stream is based and dependent on your current programming package.
- If you want to access the app on your tablet, you must have a Residential Home account registered on DIRECTV’s website.
- If you want to schedule a recording using your DIRECTV app for Android, you need Wi-Fi or a 3G/4G Internet connection and a DIRECTV PlusÆ DVR or HD DVR.
- If you want to live stream in-home-only channels and use your phone or tablet as a remote control you need to be connected through Wi-Fi at your home network and have a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, Genie and HR20 or higher) connected to the same network. The remote control is available with HD receivers (models C31, H21 and higher) as well.
Why You Need the DIRECTV App
The DIRECTV app for Android is perfect for people who are constantly on the go, but who are also extremely passionate about movies and television shows, and they want to make sure they are not missing out on anything by not being at home all the time. There are a lot of cool things about the DIRECTV app for Android, and there is no denying that for the times we live in, where people are using their phones and tablets way more often than they use their TVs, it is a really useful tool.
So if you want to be able to watch your favorite tv show the moment it airs, record it on your home DVR without even being home, catch up on old series On Demand, and many other exciting things, then DIRECTV app is the app for you. Of course, it is not perfect and some of its requirements might make some people think twice before downloading it, but overall, we think it is worth it.